≡ Menu

Who the heck is Mauro Marcos…and why should you care?

Well…he’s the BEST tennis instructor I’ve ever had the pleasure to personally work with (and I’ve worked with quite a few…), and he has TONS of clients that feel EXACTLY the same way. You can try to search for him on Google but you won’t come up with much – just a few links to some places he has taught, my site, etc. But that’s about to change. Why?

Well, he’s a very humble, down-to-earth, quiet guy who doesn’t really do a whole lot of shameless self-promotion (unlike yours truly:)

But you need to get to know him, and the world needs to get to know him, so here’s where it starts (I’ll get to the why-you-should-care part in a little bit).

Here are some Tennis pros and VIPs that Mauro has had the opportunity to meet or work with:

Mauro and Stan Smith, shooting the instructional video Common Faults of Match Play by Prince in 1990.

Mauro and Grand Slam Champion Tennis Legend Stan Smith, shooting the instructional video "Common Faults of Match Play" by Prince in 1990.

Mauro and former World #1 Jennifer Capriati at Rick Maccis, where Mauro taught in the late 80s

Mauro and former World #1 Jennifer Capriati in the early 90's. Mauro taught at Rick Macci's International Tennis Academy in the late 80's, where besides Jennifer, he also helped Rick coaching future pro Tommy Ho.

Mauro With Thomaz Koch, Brazilian Tennis Legend & World Top-Ten Player At Carlos Goffi's Tournament Tough Tennis Academy.

Mauro with ole Nick Bollettieri back in the day...

Mauro with World Famous Coach Nick Bollettieri in Miami at the 2003 Sony Ericsson Open.

Mauro With Legendary Crooner & Tennis Fan Tony Bennett In N.Y.C.

Mauro never forgets why he teaches and plays this great game...because its FUN!

Mauro never forgets why he teaches and plays this great game...because it's FUN!

Mauro & Warren Elgort Show That Tennis Rocks!!!

In his over 30 years of teaching the game of tennis, Mauro has also worked with world class tennis professionals, nationally and internationally ranked junior players, celebrities and the super-rich.

How does he get such A-list clients?

Simple: When you get your clients results like he does, the word spreads.

However, Mauro doesn’t limit his teaching to “High-Profile” clients.

He also teaches regular folks how to get the most out of THEIR game, and he does it very effectively.

Now for the short and sweet on Mauro:

Mauro started playing tennis at age 5 and was a nationally ranked junior in Brazil. He also played college tennis, and got his degree in Physical Education from the University of Sao Paulo in 1983, graduating 3rd in his class.

Mauro also did a stint as a Naval Officer and then started teaching tennis.

Mauro has taught just about everywhere from Sao Paulo Brazil to Massachusetts, from New York and New Jersey to Florida and from South Carolina to San Fransisco. He’s worked under Rick Macci as well as for Carlos Goffi at his Tournament Tough Tennis Academy in Florida, where he was Head Pro of the elite Tournament Tough Summer Training Program, which focused exclusively on highly ranked junior tournament players.

He has taught tiny toddlers, super-seniors and everyone in between; he’s even taught developmentally disabled children as well as those with Spina Bifida and Down Syndrome.

What can I say?

The guy loves a challenge.

Not only that, but back in 1998 (just for the heck of it), Mauro decided to play in a few tennis tournaments just “for fun”.

The results?

Out of the six tournaments he played, he was runner-up in one and WON the other five tournaments. One of them was the South Carolina State Closed Championships, which he won one week after his lifetime tennis coach and grandfather passed away. Instead of mourning the loss, Mauro managed to play through the grief and won the state title which he dedicated it to his late grandfather. He ended up ranked #1 in the State of South Carolina in the Mens 35s. So the dude can actually play, too.

So why did I post all this stuff about Mauro?

Because you are going to be seeing A LOT more him soon, and I wanted to have the honor of introducing him to you before you get blown away by what – and how – he teaches.

When it comes down to brass tacks, there’s only one reason you should care about who Mauro Marcos is and it’s this:

Mauro has ‘been there and done that’, and will show you how you can get there too.

You’ve got a lot of cool stuff coming your way soon from Mauro and I, so keep your eyes peeled :)

Talk soon,

Coach Kyril

2 comments… add one

• Samuel Gibson

Never had the pleasure of having mauro’s instruction but have watch numerous of his teaching ideas on YouTube.And I just want to say I think all the wonderful comments are correct about him.i enjoy his way of teaching and living tennis so much.Out of everyone I have seen on YouTube I feel he is the greatest at what he does.thank you for all you have done and will continue to do.My only wish is one day to have a few lessons with him,I have never had lessons before,but play 3.5 level in usta in nc,thanks again
    Sam
    G

• Tennis Vault Comments

# robdelasol said

- November 12 2009 @ 12:18 pm

All true! Mauro has been my instructor for the past 3 months and I have never, in any aspect of life, been so enlightened. This is not an exaggeration. He is the epitome of No BS. I have taken numerous lessons over the course of many years, and I learned more from him in the 1st lesson – things I use every time I’ve played since! – than in all previous lessons combined (of which I only vaguely remember). There is a clear line drawn in my mind, and that is the one which separates my pre-Mauro days, and the present. Thank you Mauro, see you soon…

Rob

# karla sie said

- November 23 2009 @ 5:25 am

With Mauro I had the BEST tennis lessons of my life! Everything I know, I owe to him. Today, with a tennis-playing son, my dream is to see him taking lessons with Mauro. Mauro is much more than a tennis coach. He is someone who considers the individual as a whole and complex person. This means that Mauro is an EDUCATOR, in the broadest sense of the word. This makes Mauro a very special person.

# Jack Bailey said

- November 25 2009 @ 6:47 am

Kyril,
    Thanks for such a great tribute to The Mauro!!
    I have had the pleasure of calling Mauro my friend for 20 years,(since 1989 Sarasota, Florida). He’s also been one of my most influential coaching mentors as well.
    His use of analogies and understanding of the body and it’s capabilities & limitations is second to none. His lessons were always upbeat, fun, and challenging. He infused a lot of energy and athleticism (flying backhand!!) into every hour he taught. I always marveled at his ability to approach each lesson like it was the first of the day, even after 6-8 hours on the court.
    Mauro is a great tennis professional, but a greater friend!! Thank you!!

Jack Bailey
    Avila Golf & Country Club, Tampa, Florida

# Marta Bradley said

- January 3 2010 @ 10:48 am

A lot of good things in life don’t last long enough…my tennis lessons with Mauro are one example. I enjoyed them sooo much, I learned all I know about tennis, and I miss his lessons dearly. Unfortunately, we live in opposite parts of the country now. The best testimony I can give about him, is to say that whenever I am able to hit some balls, it seems like his words of advice are still fresh in my mind, as I can still hear him telling me what and how to do it. You are the best tennis coach ever Mauro! Wish we lived closer again, my children and I would certainly take lessons. Good luck to you, everyday!

Marta

# Paul K said

- March 12 2010 @ 4:34 pm

I totally agree. What sets Mauro apart is the uncanny ability to analyze your stroke and other aspects of your game and be able to fix very specific things that will improve your game. The teaching techniques are fun and easy to remember, but what I think sets Mauro apart is his ability to deconstruct every part of your game and guide you towards becoming a better player… Go Mauro!!

# Rodrigo Contro said

- March 12 2010 @ 11:45 pm

I was 10 years old when I met Mauro. I was very sick, and had to do some kind of physical activity. Tennis seemed to be the best one at that moment.
    In a few classes that necessity became a passion, because Mauro showed me the beauty of the game and made the best of me in court. I became cured and continued having classes with him for 4 years more. During this time, he marked my way of playing, specially my backhand. But after, he went to US and unfortunately we lost contact.
    Now it’s been 26 years since I met him and we “re-found” ourselves. During this time I became a lazy weekend player. But every time I go to court people ask me “How did you get these strokes?” and I always answer “When I was a kid, I had a coach…”
    It’s a great honor to see how great he did with the sport that he loves so much, after watch the very beginning of his fantastic career. If he did what he did with me (not only teach how to play, but to love the game and use this love in life), I can imagine how he is getting better and better until today. That´s the guy I met, always trying to get better as a professional and, specially, as a human being – and I’m sure that he is doing it! THE Coach! (Sorry for the poor english, but the comment is form the heart!:)

# Bev said

- March 14 2010 @ 11:50 pm

Mauro’s method of teaching with analogies is so effective that I feel like light bulbs are lighting up all around me throughout our lessons. He makes so much sense. That, coupled with his enthusiasm for seeing me improve, makes him an instructor like no other. My kids (ages 7 & 9) have also taken lessons from Mauro and his teaching approach is just as effective with kids.

# Wali K said

- March 20 2010 @ 12:39 am

When I met Mauro, I was 9 years old and had lymes disease. I could not overwork myself at all. Yet I always felt a great joy when I would go to tennis practice every Saturday. Even though my mother would tell me not to, I would run as hard as I could for as long as I could (which was usually about 5-10 minutes) until Mauro gave me a break. I knew that my body could not allow that much exercise, but there was something about Mauro’s way of teaching (like how he is more of a friend to you than a teacher) that made me try harder every lesson. Mauro would teach me things without him tiring me (although there was the occasional smacker from his side of the court :)) and I would still enjoy it. He made tennis lessons fun and I still learned so much! Now, at age 15 and my tennis skills incredibly increased, I realize how big of a challenge that must have been for him. To teach a kid limited by a disease. He is an amazing tennis teacher and I thank him for all the support he gave me!

# Warwick Manfrinato said

- March 21 2010 @ 6:53 am

I met Mauro as a friend in childhood. We are now old friends (really) and call ourselves “brothers”, perhaps the kind you don’t get from same parents…

We played tennis as kids, same club in Brazil, but at some point Mauro’s game took of… made me jealous… My game kept small.

One day, many years later (many!!), both of us in the USA we met again. First in California and later in Cape Cod. Mauro was teaching and with incredible stories… I had 43 years old when I had my first lesson with Mauro. In the next court were nothing less then Arnold Schwarzenegger and on the other Ted Kennedy.

He took me by the hand like all the comments by kids above and incredibly I understood and did things I had never done. Instantaneously. It felt like magic to be able to hit a forehand right, but when I was able to hit a real backhand it really sank in…. it was a discover that I think even Mauro doesn’t realize how important it was for me. Guru magic it felt like, master Yoda.

Tennis is a game I take it to heart and Mauro made a huge difference.

# cem ayabakan said

- April 26 2010 @ 11:35 am

Hi there,

I am a huge tennis fan and want to improve my skills, I am 3.0 level tennis player playing for 2 years. I am also an ex volleyball player. I live in Istanbul, Turkey.

Is it possible to arrange lessons with Mauro, where does he teach?
    Please let me know. Regards.

ADMIN – I forwarded your info to Mauro :-) CK